Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

January 16, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Hardcover, First Edition, 313 pages
Published Janurary 10th 2012 by Dutton Juvenille


Rating: 5 Stars. Truly. 






Summary:
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.



My Thoughts.

This review is going to be rather short because I think it's sort of an injustice to review a book like this. It was beautifully written and utterly heartbreaking in all the best ways possible. Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters were complex and completely real people that you grew to care about. I can't say very much without giving something away but I can state without a reasonable doubt that it was one of the best books I've ever read.
I loved it.
Hazel and Augustus's relationship was beautiful and really pulls at your heartstrings. 
Please just read it.

What I Loved:
  • The bittersweet humor. You can't talk about cancer without getting sad, but when John Green throws in a little humor in there it turns it all around.
  • Augustus Water's Soul. He just is.
  • "An Imperial Affliction" and Peter Van Houten. His douche bagginess at the worst of times makes me want to hurl and cry and laugh at the same time.
  • Everything. 'nuff said.
What I Hated.
  • I hated the ending. In a very good way.
Should You Read it?
I know this wasn't a very good review but every time I think about it I still get teary eyed. Read it and understand. Please. :)

Cover:
4.5 Stars

The cover of the novel doesn't reveal very much at all, but it's simple and sweet, just like the story it tells.

1 comments:

Danmark said...

John Green is one of my favorite authors, and before this book Looking for Alaska was my all time favorite. After reading The Fault in Our Stars, I have to say this one takes the cake. I laughed and I cried and I sighed and I smiled which are all great things that go along with reading great books. I recommend this to anyone and everyone.

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Viva la Bookworm 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.