Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

February 7, 2012

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Hardcover391 pages
Published October 13th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

Rating: 4.4 Glasses




Summary:

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.  With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.  For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.


My Thoughts


I've heard a lot of bad things about this book. Some of the reviews online weren't very nice and a few of my friends even condemned it their never read again pile. So, I'm not exaggerating when I say I was a little bit more than nervous to read this book. But despite my hesitance I cleared my mind of all bias (well as much as I could hope to) and began reading and lo and behold, I really, really, really liked it.


Patch is just the right amount of badass-ary and cockiness to make you love him. Nora, although she seems a little dull, reminds me a bit of Bella with more spunk in her step. She's speaks up and has Vee, her quirky best friend to help her survive their sex-ed like version of biology class. With Patch her new desk partner, you realise that he's as much of an idiot as he is a mysterious bundle of hotness on legs. I hate subjecting these fictional guys, but you can't help it. Patch is just Patch.

I have to admit that the writing's not the greatest. There were even some story lines in the book that seemed really unnecessary or didn't add much of the story at all. Also, some of the characters are border line obnoxious. But I think that the overall story that's trying to be told overshadows a lot of these things.


If you liked Twilight you're going to love this book. Although, if you're one of the twi-haters out there, you might want to stay away. Vee can get annoying sometimes and there are quiet a lot of parallels in both of the plots.


But besides being a lot like Twilight, it was a perfectly good read and I can't wait to get my hands on the next one. The ending of Hush, Hush was completely satisfactory and I could've been happy with just that one book. There was no dramatic cliff hanger and there weren't any huge gaping questions unanswered. 


With side characters and police investigations in the midst of Nora's confusing relationship with Patch Hush, Hush was definitely worth my time.


What I Liked.


  • The Cover. I'm going to be shallow for a second and say the cover of this book is really incredibly pretty....
  • The Angels. I can now finally say I've thoroughly enjoyed a good angel themed romance novel!
  • Patch. He's mysterious and broods just the right amount to make it okay that's he a cocky bastard sometimes. Plus it doesn't hurt that he's extremely good looking.
  • The Romance. It was sweet and although it bordered weird and kind of psychotic at some points, I think it worked out very well. Nora and Patch fit perfectly together.
  • Their biology class. I know a lot of people think it's extremely stupid, "Twilight"-y, and very unrealistic, but I mean, it's supposed to be a teen romance novel about angels. I think it was stupid and unrealistic for just the right reasons. It was funny and gave the characters a lot to work with. Because really, what coach/bio teacher asks their students "What do they look for in their future mate?"
  • The flash backs. They were well placed and helped aid the story.
What I Didn't Like.
  • Nora's "wishy-washy"-ness. She has spunk, but sometimes it seems she just lets people walk all over her. I wish she'd stand up to Vee when she didn't like something. That would have solved so many of their problems.
  • It's set in the north west. I'm sorry, but that just reminds me too much of Twilight.
  • The foreshadowing. It was too obvious. The fact that he calls her angel, asks her to go on an angel-themed roller coaster at a theme park named Delphic is just too much.
  • Vee. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a friend like her, but at some points I was just fed up with her attitude. I wan't to grab her and shout "JUST LISTEN TO NORA!" I swear, half the stuff that happened wouldn't have happened if she did just that. I personally think that if you can stand her, the rest of this book will be a breeze.
  • Elliot and Jules. So Vee and Nora meet these two guys and although they're big parts of the story, I don't think they're given enough attention. 
  • eZine. I never got it. It seemed really interesting for the first quarter of the book, I mean, it was mentioned a lot,and then proof! Never mentioned again.
Should You Read It?
I'm going to be honest, if you didn't like Twilight, you probably won't like this. However, if you did, then go for it! I can guarantee Patch is going to be right up there for you next to the many other dreamy fictional guys of your dreams.

Cover Rating: 5 STARS!!!! Seriously, it's just too pretty. Like uber beautiful pretty.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Viva la Bookworm 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.