Review: First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

July 8, 2012


First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson #1)
by Darynda Jones
Hardcover, 310 pages
Published February 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Press 

Glasses: 4.0 



A smashing, award-winning debut novel that introduces Charley Davidson: part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper
Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.

My Thoughts:
I've been waiting for this book to be returned to the library for forever. Like literally, I don't know what was up with this lady, but I'm willing to bet her late fines are going to be huge. Anyway, I finally read it and I'm glad to say that the long wait was well worth it.

Charley Davidson can see ghosts. Charley Davidson is a private detective. Charley Davidson is awesome. She has by far been one of the most confident and likable characters I've read about in a really long time. She's tough, fights for what she wants, and doesn't seem afraid of anything. Throughout the book she tries to unravel the mystery of three lawyer's deaths all the while trying to figure out who the strange man in her dreams is.

Overall, I really liked the book. The mystery was intriguing and clever, the romance was there, and the action was abundant. However, I wouldn't go as far and say that this was either a mystery of a detective novel. If anything, it was both. The one critique I do have, is that although it wasn't a very full on mystery, I don't think there was enough romance to fully make up for it. It wasn't "steamy" as one of the reviews had said, nor do I think that there was enough of anything to make it romantic. If anything when it was romantic, it was slightly on the psychopathic end of the spectrum (not that it was terribly bad mind you, it was that good kind of psychopathic thing going on). Oh, and everything that happens to her? Very unrealistic, but I'm not upset about that, because this is about a women who uses ghosts to solve crimes. I don't judge.

And another thing, what was up with the cover? I mean, where did the rest of her leg go?!?
Other than that, it was a fun read and I'm really hoping that the second one is at the library tomorrow.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Viva la Bookworm 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.