Review: Blood Price by Tanya Huff

January 22, 2011

Blood Price by Tanya Huff
Paperback, 336 pages
Published October 7th 2004 by Orbit (first published 1991)
Paperback (Amazon

Rating:


Summary

It began with blood and death amid the streets of late-night Toronto. Vicki Nelson, formerly of Toronto's homicide detail, now a private investigator, witnessed the first attack by the force of dark magic that would soon wreak its reign of terror on the unsuspecting city. And as death followed unspeakable death, Vicki became more and more deeply enmeshed in an investigation which would see her renewing her stormy relationship with her former police partner, Mike Celluci, even as she teamed up with writer Henry Fitzroy, in a desperate attempt to track down the source of the seemingly unstoppable attacks. For Fitzroy, the illegitimate son of Henry VIII, had knowledge of realms beyond the mortal acquired over the centuries during which he'd mastered his own insatiable needs - the life-from-death cravings of a vampire.
Henry Fitzroy had long since learned to survive without killing, learned the skills needed to blend in with the human race. But unless he, Vicki, and Mike could find the key to conquering the magic-raised menace stalking the streets of Toronto, Fitzroy's true identity might soon be exposed and his life might prove forfeit to the uncontrollable fears of humankind. And without Henry Fitzroy, mere mortals like Vicki and Mike would not long survive against the ancient force of chaos that had been loosed on their world. (Goodreads)

My Thoughts 


I'm probably going to be the first to say that I'm a rabid fan girl of anything vampire or werewolf. If you say it's in there, I'll most likely read it. (Pathetic, right? :P ) So, when I found this little book on the ground at my library I just couldn't resist. I read the synopsis and I instantly got it. I mean a vampire and a private investigator?! I was amazed that something this awesome could exist. Although, in retrospect, it doesn't seem all that unusual anymore, but it definitely holds its own.


The book started well enough, and before long I couldn't put it down, despite sometimes knowing what'll happen next. Now, I'll admit, it's not the most beautifully written book, nor does it have an amazing plot. The characters, at most were a step above mediocre and the story was sometimes pretty predictable. What's worst, is that, more often than not, their problems were way to easily solved.


One problem I had was the way Vikki handled the fact that Henry was a vampire. I mean, calm and collected is can be entertaining but hardly believable. And the "thing" between Vikki wand Celluci? What was that about? And Henry?! I didn't know that there was suppose to be a growing relationship between her and the vampire until the very end of the novel (maybe it's because I'm thick, but I seriously didn't see something like that coming). And the side character Tony who exists seemingly to give some vampire blood is just okay with it? Where's the screaming? Where's the shock?


Another thing was the fact that many of the other characters were really somewhat annoying and stupidly ignorant with the whole situation. And Norman? Gah...


I know I'm totally ranting but I need to put that out there. But, despite all this, I loved the book. It was entertaining, clever, and definitely worth my time. It wasn't until I was finished with it that I learned there was how based on it, so obviously I'll be watching that soon. Anyways, excuse me while I go out and check the next few in the series. :D


Cover/Title
Taking into consideration that this cover is a lot better than the one that it was published with in the 90s I'd have to say that it's definitely not as bad as it could be *coughthiscough* .

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Viva la Bookworm 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.