Review: Tangled by Carolyn Mackler

April 25, 2011

Tangled by Carolyn Mackler
Hardcover, 308 pages

Published December 29th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published December 16th 2009)

Rating:   3.5 Stars
Summary:

  Paradise wasn't supposed to suck.
  Not the state of being, but a resort in the Caribbean.
Jena, Dakota, Skye, and Owen are all there for different reasons, but at Paradise their lives become tangled together in ways none of them can predict. Paradise will change them all.
  It will change Jena, whose first brush with romance takes her that much closer to having a life, and not just reading about those infinitely cooler and more exciting.
It will change Dakota, who needs the devastating truth about his past to make him realize that he doesn't have to be a jerk just because people think he's one.
  It will change Skye, a heartbreakingly beautiful actress, who must come to terms with the fact that for once she has to stop playing a role or face the consequences.
And it will change Owen, who has never risked anything before and who will take the leap from his online life to a real one all because of a girl he met at Paradise. . . .
From confused to confident and back again, one thing's certain: Four months after it all begins, none of them will ever be the same.  (Goodreads)
My Thoughts:


Must I say that this is definitely a nice breath of fresh air. With the different point of views we get a glimpse inside each of the characters mind. Jena was so relatable that I could almost find myself doing some of the things she does. Dakota, although definitely a jerk, grew on me and became a very well thought out character. Skye, a conflicted teenage movie star, gave me the wrong impression at first and I immediately hated, just as Jena did. But, similar to Jena, you realize that she's going through things as well. And Owen was just utterly adorable. If I could imagine my future husband I would definitely say it would be him. He's sweet, but insecure. He's awkward, but understanding. I love 'em.


What I Loved:



  • Jena and her book of everything. Her numerous quotes and ideas. And her similar thought processes as my own. She's awesome.
  • Dakota and his character dynamics. He changes for the better and realizes what his faults have been and seemingly tries to be a better person. And, after everything he's been through with his girlfriend, I'm glad he's moving on.
  • Skye and her problems. They were so real and completely plausible. I'm glad she was able to get help.
  • Owen! He's so sweet. Period.
What I Didn't Like:

  • I just couldn't grab my interest. Believe me when I say that it wasn't the book, it wasn't me.
  • The ending wasn't satisfying enough.

Should You Read It?

If you're in the mood for a sweet romance with real, authentic, original characters, then yes. You really, really should.


Cover:  3 stars
It's cute enough I suppose. The ribbons were sweet and quirky and metaphorical.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Viva la Bookworm 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.